Located in Porthtowan, Towancott is very close to an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and a World Heritage Site
Self Catering Holiday Cottage, Porthtowan.
Towancott is thought to be the oldest dwelling in Porthtowan, and dates back to the 1600s. It is one of the few real cottages to be found in Porthtowan, and was originally the farmhouse to Towan Farm.
During the 17th and 18th Centuries, Towancott was owned by the Tonkin family who are of local significance. Amongst the family were John and Hugh Tonkin who were responsible for the attempts in 1634 and 1684 to build the harbour at St Agnes. Thomas Tonkin, a famous historian, owned the property during the 1700s.
Situated at the top of the Porthtowan valley, Towancott is the perfect base from which to explore the Cornish countryside. The whole area is of great historical importance, and the landscape is dotted with wheals which are evidence of its copper mining past. It is also a popular destination for surfers and beach lovers.
Situated only 8 miles from the flourishing city of Truro, Porthtowan is within easy reach of transport links and a very good range of high street shops.
Attractions and Amenities at Porthtowan
- Surf club – surf lessons for both adults and kids, runs a bus service between Falmouth and Porthtowan.
- Blue bar – voted one of the top 10 places to stormwatch in Cornwall. Serves great food and drinks.
- Surf Hire shop — very helpful staff
- Gift/beach shop – sells anything you have forgotten to bring to the beach, and cute ‘pocket-money’ gifts
- Moomaid of Zennor — serves top-notch ice cream
- Café – serving a well thought-out menu of generously sized paninis and the like, ‘cheesey chips’ and hot drinks
- Post office/corner shop – selling all the essentials and a decent selection of wines and beers
- Bus stop — where you can catch the 304 to Truro
- Childrens’ play park — with pirate themed play equipment and swings, most suited to under 8s
Things to do Further Afield
- The Eden Project
- Lost Gardens of Heligan
- Wheal Martyn - clay mining museum
- Fishing trips from Newquay and Falmouth
Restless teens & pre-teens
- Skate park in Mount Hawke which holds some of the national skateboarding championship competitions.
- BMX track at Protreath
- Lazer tag (for groups of 8 or more), near Scourrier
Dates/Minimum Stay/Per Night /Per Week
Feb 2 - Apr 12, 2019, Min. 4 nights £85/ night or £650/week.
Apr 13, 2019 -Apr 26, Min 4 nights £145/night or £1000/week.
Apr 27 - May 24, 2019, Min 4 nights £117/week, or £800/week
May 26 - May 31, 2019, Min 1 week £1,150
Jun 1 - Jul 5, 2019, Min 4 nights £137/night or £950/week
Jul 6 - Sep 6, 2019, Min 1 week £1,300
Sep 7 - Oct 18, 2019, Min4 nights £109/night or £750/week
Oct 19 - Nov 01, 2019 Min 1 week £950
Nov 02 - Dec 20, 2019, Min 4 nights £75/night or £500/week
Dec 21 - Jan 3, 2020 1 week £1,300
If you would like to make a booking, please email email@example.com or call 020 8340 7406. I am around most of the time and will reply to emails within the day.